Emgality comes in an easy-to-use, self-injectable pen that can be used once a month in the comfort of your home
Emgality is for adults only. For patients with migraine, your first dose will be a loading dose of 240 mg, or 2 injections of 120 mg each, which may be administered in your doctor’s office, or on your own. After that, you can inject just 1 dose, or injection, on your own each month to help prevent migraine.
Once-monthly Emgality is designed to help prevent migraine all month long
Select Safety Information
The most common side effects of Emgality include injection site reactions.
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or does not go away. These are not all the possible side effects of Emgality.
See how Amanda fought to be present for her family and how Emgality worked for her
3 basic steps to inject with the Emgality Pen
Before you inject for the first time, your healthcare provider should show you how to prepare and inject Emgality.
Leave the pen at room temperature for 30 minutes before injecting. Wash your hands, select an injection site, clean it with an alcohol wipe, and let it dry before you inject. Inspect the pen and the medicine. Make sure the pen is locked and the base cap is on until you inject.
1. Uncap the pen
Twist off base cap and throw it away. Do not put the base cap back on, as this could damage the needle. Do not touch the needle.
2. Place and unlock
Place the clear base flat and firmly at the injection site and unlock the pen.
3. Press, hold, and listen
Press and hold the teal button. Listen for a loud click. Keep holding the pen against your skin. After about 10 seconds, you will hear a second click. That means the full dose has been delivered.
IMPORTANT: These are not the complete instructions for using the Pen. Please see Instructions for Use that comes with your device or visit the following links: Pen or 120 mg Syringe
For migraine, a 120 mg prefilled syringe is also available. Talk to your doctor about which type of device is right for you.
The most common side effects of Emgality were injection site reactions such as pain, redness, and itching. In a clinical study, less than 2% of people discontinued Emgality due to injection site reactions.
Watch this video to learn how to inject Emgality
When taking Emgality, please remember:
- Before you inject for the first time, your healthcare provider should show you how to prepare and inject Emgality
- Store your pen in the refrigerator between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C)
- Leave the pen (with the cap on) at room temperature for 30 minutes before injecting
- Do not microwave the pen, run it under hot water, shake it, freeze it, or leave it in direct sunlight
- You can inject in your abdomen (at least 2 inches away from belly button) or front of thighs (at least 2 inches above the knee and 2 inches below the groin). Another person can inject in the back of your arm or buttocks
- Rotate the injection site